Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Exploring the Depths of Research

Exploring the Depths of Research

     I used to think that research was just looking up something on a search engine and locating scientific evidence that had proven a hypothesis right or wrong. Research methods go far more in depth than just "Googling" something. Precise research takes patience and a lot of time to fully grasp the idea and come to a reasonable conclusion that makes sense and can be supported by logical evidence. I enjoyed learning about the different materials and approaches to research because now I have an extensive view at what I could do compared to what I used to do when I was doing research. There are alternatives to gaining information too. There are all types of studies such as descriptive studies and case studies. I'm excited to put my research skills to the test throughout this course because I am confident in myself. I'm looking forward to using action research sites, especially for the classroom. 


       The action research site that really caught my attention is called MMSD Classroom Action Research. Soon after catching a glimpse of this website in this week's articles and assignments, I decided to fully explore this useful tool. It turns out that this site provides all types of articles that can be used in the educational environment as research evidence or just for teachers to read and gain knowledge. The articles range from grade levels K - 12 and it ranges from information like closing the achievement gap, instructional strategies, many personal matters, and so much more. I would strongly recommend this website to any teacher who is looking for solutions or informational facts about any subject.



Educational Psychology: 
Foundation for Teaching 
Research Webquest

 Task 4:
Kimberly Rivera 
Psychology of Learning, Section 2

Christopher Lopata, Nancy V. Wallace, & Kristen V. Finn

Correlational Study

     This study revolved around testing students in both Montessori and Traditional Schooling settings to determine if the Montessori students were able to outperform those in the traditional school settings due to their educational experiences and connections.This study referred to testing 4th and 8th grade students from both environments. Schools and grade levels were paired together based on the characteristics of their students such as gender, ethnicity, and SES. The students were tested on mathematics and language arts achievement and satisfactory. Using correlations, the researchers were able to compare all four schools. With the 4th graders, there were no significant differences in language arts and Montessori test scores for mathematics were higher than the OM school, but lower than another. With the 8th graders, Montessori schools again did not show much significance with mathematics, but greater differences in language arts. Montessori students scored lower than two out of the three other schools tested. Thus, the hypothesis claiming that Montessori schools are supported by ultimate academic achievement is invalid. 

     The results were interesting to me because I had always believed that Montessori schools were better, but now my opinion has changed. After reading this article, I now believe that Montessori is a clever route to aim for schooling purposes primarily based on the child's learning habits. Traditional schooling is not a bad option. This study does not directly relate to classroom practice frequently, but it does mention a few of the academic perspectives that are seen and used in a Montessori classroom compared to a traditional classroom. The researchers conclusion seem valid to me, but I don't agree with using the New York State Mathematics or Language Arts tests as the overall, superior decision to use as evidence for this study. I believe that observations or optional work and experiences should have been done because I know as a person who has test anxiety, many children may have it to and if that is the case, they may not be able to shine through the test and present their best work and understanding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment